The Isaac Murphy: Everybody Reads Project was designed in cooperation with the University of Kentucky College of Arts & Sciences and a group of educators from around the state as a statewide literacy project to coincide with the 2010 World Equestrian Games.
Frank X Walker’s collection of poetry Isaac Murphy: I Dedicate This Ride (Old Cove Press 2010), and Patsi Trollinger’s children’s book Perfect Timing (Viking), which focus on the famous African American jockey Isaac Murphy, are the two books used in the reading project.
Unlike most reading projects centered around a single book, this two-book project is not only designed to promote literacy, it seeks to engage families, appeal to a broader audience and to engender intergenerational multi-racial dialogue, conversation and enthusiasm around reading and the exploration of Kentucky’s rich history.Click Here to Purchase Isaac Murphy
Everybody Reads RESOURCES
- Lesson Plans & CCSS: Prepared by Phyllis Schlich, English Teacher, Tates Creek High School, Lexington
- Prepared by Willow Hambrick, Educator, Literacy Coach and Writing Coordinator, Royal Spring Middle School
- Poetry Analysis Template
- The Persona Poem: Definition and Writing Tasks
- The Poem as Craft
- Response to Frank X Walker’s Persona Poems
- Educational Vision: PowerPoint Presentation
- Faith-based Discussion Questions: Prepared by Pastor Larry Weathers, Empowerment Worship Centers
Student Persona Poem
- Betsy Ross: Kayla Ritchie, 7th grade Language Arts student, Royal Spring Middle School
Links & Multimedia
- Frank X Walker: Author Site
- Patsi B. Trollinger: Author Site
- Fishousepoems.org: this site features audio files of Frank X Walker reading from his work as well as Q&A clips and speaking on various topics. Wonderful audio resource for education.
- Video: Isaac Murphy History: YouTube video posted by The Legacy Center